Over 800 IDPs cross into Mizoram amid escalating military tensions in Chin State
- 2 hours ago
- 2 min read
More than 800 internally displaced persons (IDPs) have crossed into Mizoram, India, amid escalating clashes in Myanmar’s Chin State, according to local residents and media reports.
Following reports that the Myanmar military was preparing to retake the border town of Rikhawdar and Khawmawi village along the India-Myanmar Trade Camp No. 2 route, at least 820 IDPs crossed into Mizoram over the two days leading up to May 13, Zonet TV reported, citing local police, the Assam Rifles and a youth organization in Zokhawthar, Mizoram.
“Yes, the current figure reflects only those who officially registered through the Friendship Bridge. The number of people who entered through other routes without registration is likely at least double that,” a resident of Zokhawthar village told Mizzima on May 14.
After registering with military and police authorities, the displaced people are being housed in rented accommodation or with relatives and friends who previously sought refuge in the area. Local residents said that if more people arrive, plans are in place to shelter them in halls operated by youth and women’s organizations.
While the displaced are being welcomed due to the life-threatening conditions they face, a resident of Zokhawthar said their arrival has also brought challenges, particularly cases involving drug trafficking, drug use and related arrests. He urged the displaced people to respect local laws and customs and to live peacefully with the community.
The newly displaced people are reportedly from Tedim Township, where clashes with the Myanmar military are ongoing. Residents from villages in Tonzang Township and along the Falam-Hakha road, as well as from Hualngoram near the Mizoram border, are also said to be among those affected.
“There has been no fighting in our village so far, but we fled as a precaution. If clashes break out, escaping will not be easy,” one displaced person said. “For now, we will have to rent a house. We cannot say what will happen next. If we are forced to stay away for a long time, there will be many difficulties.”
Although fighting has not yet reached their area, residents said they fled out of fear of possible airstrikes and concerns for the safety of elderly family members.
Despite reports that the border trade post could come under continued attack following the capture of Falam town, U Ku Ngar, defence officer of the Hualngoram People’s Organization (HPO), told Mizzima that there was no need for excessive concern.
“Some of our people have fled from our territory. However, there has been no military action on our side on the ground, so there is no need for excessive concern, and we will provide updates if necessary,” he said.
“If the military regime launches an attack, we are prepared to resist. We call on all able-bodied adults, except children, the elderly and women, to defend our territory out of a sense of nationalism, and some people have already registered to join,” U Ku Ngar added.
The Rikhawdar border trading post along the India-Myanmar border was seized by Chin resistance forces in November 2023 and is currently under civilian administration.
According to Indian government figures, more than 30,000 Myanmar refugees are currently sheltering in Mizoram, including over 7,000 who have taken refuge in Zokhawthar village in Champhai district.





Comments